Saturday, January 29, 2011

Being Worthy of Honey Foxy Cleopatra

Hi and welcome.

If you are just getting introduced to our work, let's get you up to speed. ;-)

Dax and I at The Four Seasons, Wailea, Maui
Back in 2003, Missing Links started off as unique jewelry pieces for my ailing furchild, Baroness Jadzia Dax of McFarland. While living in Maui, I'd been beading for myself, yet the most popular pieces I made were for doggies. At the time, my dog was a 9 year old maltese who was fabulously rounding the bend to 10. Of course, I couldn't help but spoil her to death with crystals and shells, garnets and adorable charms. She pranced when we wore them, people complimented her often, and soon enough we started getting orders for commissioned pieces whenever we went out together. 
Dax in Ohio as we drove cross country to move to D.C.

(VintageBlooms, 2011)
She had a nice setup in Maui with her own flower garden spotted with planting beds that were rimmed with volcanic oversized boulders we had found all over our property. We grew lavender, roses, pansies poking out of a forest of old tennis shoes, and gave her plenty to stir her senses. These vibrant colors influenced most of my work and bead shopping.  Dax had walking paths, a miniature statue garden of budhas, angels, ceramic frogs and even a tree tunnel made up of a combination of wild blackberries, night blooming jasmine, and a kukui nut tree. She was fenced in with a carefully designed and planted flowering medley of alchemist elements and constantly budding life.  A living fence, that she would stop at in different points, take a deep breath, generally enjoyed her Maui lifestyle. We spent alot of time there looking out at the bicoastal island view in the distance, just meditating on the meaning of life. She had had cancer surgery, had heart problems, and doctors gave her a few months at best, so I had moved her to paradise to end her days.  But no one told Dax about the schedule, and we lived there for 3 years like this before moving to Washington D.C. in 2009.  
But I digress.
(VintageBlooms, 2011)

(SketchedSpring, 2011)
The necklaces were a hit, and that led to the creation of my Pretty Paws line.  What's Pretty Paws?  Pretty Paws is one-of-a-kind fashion jewelry made from world traveled semi-precious stones for the Fashion Hound in your life.  When mommy owners realized I could make matching anklets, they stopped borrowing their dogs pieces and matched up in style. 

My wonderful best friend and all around "me too kid" passed on on November 3rd, 2011 so February 3rd will have been 3 months. It's been rough going, but when I get sad, I think of all the wonderful things she was able to do in her life.  Of course, I hadn't made a doggie necklace since November.  Now, I've been commissioned to make my first puppy blingwear for Honey Foxy Cleopatra, the neighbor's new puppy.  She's adorable. Smart, inquisitive, attentive, and breathtakingly cute.  Coming on 8 weeks now.  And her mother's from Jamaica, so the journey for the art is specific. I'm back to sparkling up four legged lives everywhere, and am creating matching anklets for the mommas out there who like to strut with their mutt.

(Pretty Paws, 2011)

Can't wait to try it on Honey.  Thanks for checking in with Missing Links.

Lisa Lindo
www.missinglinksfound.com

No comments:

Post a Comment